Flautas are a super popular Antojito Mexicano back home (street food) but they are deep-fried, and I’m not really into deep-frying. These “chicken taquitos” are a healthy and super nutritious baked version of the crispy and rolled flautas.
Besides being heart healthy and weight loss friendly they incorporate all three macronutrients: lean protein, healthy fats, and nutrient dense carbs. When you eat in balance you are fueling your body with the right amount of nutrients and real whole foods. The results? Your best and most energetic self! Consistent energy levels, boosted metabolism, stable blood glucose levels, decreased cravings, feeling empowered/motivated and good moods are important elements and a huge part of being successful when it comes to reaching your health goals and living a healthier life.
Pretty Nutritious Chicken Flautas
Ingredients for Flautas
- 1 Lemon Pepper Chicken from Trader Joe’s (12 oz)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican Blend shredded cheese
- 10 tortillas
- Olive Oil cooking Spray
- Queso fresco, shredded (Queso Del Valle)
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
Ingredients for Avocado Crema
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 tsp salt
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
Directions for Flautas
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Chop the chicken and combine with onion and cheese.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat spray some olive oil cooking spray and heat the tortillas one by one to soften, flipping them over to get a thin coating of the olive oil on both sides.
- Lay the tortilla on a work surface and spread 3 tbsp. of the chicken filling down the middle of the tortilla and roll up.
- Spray some cooking olive oil on a baking dish and place rolled up flauta seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Once all ten flautas are done spray with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Pipe Avocado Crema and top with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo and shredded queso fresco.
Directions for Avocado Crema
- Place avocado, yogurt, salt, and jalapeño in a food processor and pulse till smooth.
Directions for Pico de Gallo
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño and mix until well combined.