Long gone is the boring salad. The spicy but sweet pineapple, the salty cheese, creamy avocado and crunchy apples make this salad memorable. Plus, it’s fresh, easy and pretty! My husband is a salad hater, but he happily ate this one and even went back for seconds.
Food has the power to bring back memories. This salad takes me back to my parents dinning room. It’s around 3 PM and my sisters and I just got back from school, my dad is home for lunch and a quick siesta before heading back to work, and my mom is finalizing lunch details so we can all sit down at the table. My passion for healthy eating is not only due to my career. My healthy eating habits started at home thanks to my mother. Every meal would begin with a salad and this one was and still is one of my favorites.
Spicy Pineapple Salad
- 2-3 pineapple spears, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup jalapeño juice
- 1/2 Gala apple, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup Mexican queso blanco, cubbed
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 cup spinach or any mixed greens
- Olive oil
- In a medium bowl combine the pineapple and jalapeño juice and marinate for 1 hour.
- In a large salad bowl combine all other ingredients and the marinated pineapple. Drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.